Unbound Yoga Sutras with Wendy Newton
Pranayama: Finding the Pauses that Balance the Nervous System and Quiet the Mind
In the Yoga Sutras, pranayama is given as the fourth of the eight limbs of yoga. The description is simple and profound. Work with the inhale and the exhale to find the pauses that balance the nervous system and quiet the mind. Whatever specific techniques we may be using in our current yoga practice, the essence of pranayama is to restore the natural pulsatory rhythm so we can move into the pauses that are the portal to the inner experience of yoga.
- In this two-hour workshop we will:
- Unpack the fourth limb of yoga from Tantra of the Yoga Sutras
- Briefly discuss the nervous system with regard to the breath
- Work with some short pre-meditative style asana/pranayama sequences to explore our inhale/exhale/pause patterns
- See how we might individualize commonly practiced pranayama techniques
- Share some experiences and process to gain perspective in our practice
March 5, 2:30 – 4:30 pm est via live stream
In-Studio Only: $40 EB / $50 Day of
Online Only: $30 EB / $40 Day of.
Special rates for ISHTA Acharya, 50% off day of rate for ISHTA Members
Bio: Yogiraj Wendy Newton is Co-author with Alan Finger of Tantra of the Yoga Sutras. She has taught in the ISHTA Yoga teacher training since its inception and is dedicated to sharing the wisdom of the ancient teachings of yoga in a contemporary and relatable way. She is creator of Embodied Yoga Sutras, a course designed to help contemporary practitioners to access the teachings of sacred text through practice, self-reflection, and group process. Wendy is a gifted energy work practitioner bringing years of yogic study and reflection to her private sessions.